Monday, May 16, 2016

New York State of Mind: 2015 in a Nutshell

So I've been very bad. I'm sorry. I let the city consume me, swallow me up alive. This magical place has stimulated, inspired, depressed, abused, and elated me all at the same time. Over and over and over again. You see, the problem with all of this overstimulation is that it has resulted in my inability to sit down and write. Because the city that never sleeps doesn't really allow time for such things. Pshh, hell no. It's impossible to stop moving long enough to formulate thoughts, let alone write them down. But I must. Because, alas, that is what I came here to do, afterall. So I promise to make a valiant effort to keep writing, keep cataloging my adventures (there have been so many!) and keep doing what I do in an effort to keep the inspiration alive and thriving. Because, well, I don't really know what else to do. So without further ado I present, the cliffs notes version, of what the hell I've been up to the past year. Go ahead, have a seat, get comfy, because this might take a while.

In the past year I have...

  • Moved 3 times. First landing in my brother's teeeeeny Sunnyside apartment he shared with his girfriend (he has since moved back to Cali to attend UCLA), then to Lefferts Gardens (to which I experienced more violence than I was admittedly prepared for) and finally to South Williamsburg where I decided to stay put. Score! I found a home.
  • Gotten lost in Prospect Park, admired some neat sculptures, and met a magical man (of a rare native New Yorker breed) who took us through the secret passageways of the park to perform a standing bass solo.
  • Celebrated my first NYC NYE at the Down Town Association, a private club in Financial District, for a Celestial Ball. This was some Eyes Wide Shut kind of shit -- minus the orgies. 

  • Faced my first blizzard. Got snowed in. Ate a bunch of cookies and drank whiskey with my roommates.
  • Had not one, but 2 private karaoke parties. Wassup, American Idol?

  • Ate a duck feast at Momofuku.
  • Danced until 4am, got asked to apply lube to a man dressed as a "lizard lady" in a patent leather catsuit.

  • Ate lobster rolls aboard a lobster boat.
  • Biked the West Side Highway.

  • Attended a Holi festival.
  • Saw a few outdoor concerts at Prospect Park.

  • Went to Coney Island.
  • Visited the MOMA after operating hours for a special showing of the Picasso sculptures. 
  • Went to gallery opening nights in Chelsea just for the free wine and street style stalking.

  • Watched men in tight tights perform ballet.
  • Attended an art show by someone I was actually friends with. And was blown away by her talent.

  • Went to Woodstock.
  • And one trip to Philly.
  • And a bunch of trips back home.
  • Cried a bunch about leaving the California sun behind.
  • Admired the many, many sightings of street art across the city. (One of my favorite things about the city.)
  • And the subway station musicians. (Second favorite thing.)
  • Saw the cherry blossoms and tulips bloom across the city.
AND FINALLY! Spring has sprung and a fresh new season begins.

I promise to be better this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment