In the past year I have...
- Moved 3 times. First landing in my brother's teeeeeny Sunnyside apartment he shared with his girfriend (he has since moved back to Cali to attend UCLA), then to Lefferts Gardens (to which I experienced more violence than I was admittedly prepared for) and finally to South Williamsburg where I decided to stay put. Score! I found a home.
- Gotten lost in Prospect Park, admired some neat sculptures, and met a magical man (of a rare native New Yorker breed) who took us through the secret passageways of the park to perform a standing bass solo.
- Celebrated my first NYC NYE at the Down Town Association, a private club in Financial District, for a Celestial Ball. This was some Eyes Wide Shut kind of shit -- minus the orgies.
- Faced my first blizzard. Got snowed in. Ate a bunch of cookies and drank whiskey with my roommates.
- Had not one, but 2 private karaoke parties. Wassup, American Idol?
- Ate a duck feast at Momofuku.
- Danced until 4am, got asked to apply lube to a man dressed as a "lizard lady" in a patent leather catsuit.
- Ate lobster rolls aboard a lobster boat.
- Biked the West Side Highway.
- Attended a Holi festival.
- Saw a few outdoor concerts at Prospect Park.
- Went to Coney Island.
- Visited the MOMA after operating hours for a special showing of the Picasso sculptures.
- Went to gallery opening nights in Chelsea just for the free wine and street style stalking.
- Watched men in tight tights perform ballet.
- Attended an art show by someone I was actually friends with. And was blown away by her talent.
- Went to Woodstock.
- And one trip to Philly.
- And a bunch of trips back home.
- Cried a bunch about leaving the California sun behind.
- Admired the many, many sightings of street art across the city. (One of my favorite things about the city.)
- And the subway station musicians. (Second favorite thing.)
- Saw the cherry blossoms and tulips bloom across the city.
AND FINALLY! Spring has sprung and a fresh new season begins.
I promise to be better this time around.